Are the winter blues starting to sink in at work? This tends to be that time of year when energy levels go from high to zombie-like low. And why is this? Our theory is that when you get back to the office from the holidays in January, things feel fresh and you are rejuvenated to work. That tends to wear off by February when every day is cloudy, freezing and you don’t see the sun for weeks at a time. Hello, cabin fever!
We still have a lot of winter left to go. So what to do to combat the winter office blues?
4 Easy Ways to Not Hate Your Office In the Winter
- Sit near a window. Vitamin D does wonders for the body. Even if the sun isn’t shining, simply seeing the sky can help boost your mood and energy. If your desk isn’t near a window, is there a common area or an open conference room that you can camp out in for a bit?
- Strategically select your playlist. If you are allowed to listen to music on headphones at work, select music that personally makes you feel good. Just yesterday we decided to play music in the lobby that reminded us of a beach vacation (the Bob Marley station on Pandora is amazing for this!)
- Walk outside. Yes, we said it. Walk outside. A brisk walk even in cold temperatures will wake you right up. A favorite “hack” is to walk outside to the parking lot, touch your car, turn around and go back inside. It’s that easy!
- Bring in a treat. While treating yourself feels good, treating others feels even better. Bring in something homemade like your famous cookies or surprise everyone with coffee from a nearby local roaster. The key here isn’t to spend a lot of money but to feel good by making other people smile.
And sometimes, all the sunlight, happy music, quick walks and baked goods just won’t do the trick. For upcoming meetings that matter, consider taking your team offsite or pitching the idea to your boss. Important meetings during the long stretch of winter risk participants being disengaged and just plain grouchy. The colorful decor and upbeat environment at sparkspace can perk your team right up!
- Team Outing Ideas in Downtown Columbus, OH - September 14, 2017
- The Benefits of Structured Play for Team Building - August 29, 2017
- Current Corporate Catering Trends That We Love - August 22, 2017
- 4 Easy Hacks to Beat the Winter Blues at Work - February 21, 2017
- Are You Prepared to Meet Differently? - February 15, 2017