It’s Spring and I’m in the mood to change my mood. A few weeks ago I cleaned out my closet and gave away half my clothes, including my varsity jacket. That was a great physical purge that really boosted my mood (still does every time I walk into my closet). Now I feel the urge to purge some of the mental clutter.
So, I’m going to turn off the TV.
Specifically I’m turning off The Walking Dead and House of Cards. I got started on both shows about a year ago and binged watched every episode on Netflix. I’ve been keeping up with the pretend zombies and pretend politicians ever since. And yes, saying zombies and politicians in the same sentence is redundant.
As compelling as these shows are, I really don’t like the way they make me feel when I watch them. They suck my energy in a far worse way than most television does. It’s no wonder, really. Both of those franchises showcase the worst of humanity: violence, greed, murder, selfish ambition, and more. Every time I watch them I just feel…icky. Looking back, I am surprised I got addicted to them at all. Such is the case with any drug, I suppose.
Oh yeah, I’m not watching any more debates, either. Same reason. Only those usually make me angry and sad and a little depressed. Not sure how I’ll figure out who to vote for, but I’ll find a way I’m sure.
I’d say I’m not going to watch the news anymore, either, but I gave up watching TV news (and reading the paper) years ago. That, without a doubt, has been one of the most positive things I’ve ever done.
To be clear, I’m not going full out Amish. I’ll still watch a movie here and there. I’ll still watch Shark Tank and The Profit like all good business owners should. But overall I’m going to watch TV a lot less and be a heck of a lot more picky with what I put in front of my face from now on.
Just making this decision I feel better already.
Anybody with me?
- Best Quotes From Meetings Suck by Cameron Herold - May 1, 2019
- Best Quotes from The Power of Moments - September 27, 2018
- Break the Script with Your next Meeting Kickoff - September 5, 2018
- Four Proven and Powerful Team Building Exercises - June 16, 2018
- Why Columbus Sparks Creativity - June 13, 2018
- Three Common Myths About Team Building - May 3, 2018
- The Staggering Importance of Team Culture - April 30, 2018
- How to Spark Positivity in Your Team - April 23, 2018
- How to Know When It’s Time for a Team Retreat - April 23, 2018
- How Meeting Facilitation Can Help Three Common Team Problems - March 1, 2018