You’ve been instructed by your boss to include a “team building activity” on to your company’s upcoming retreat. You can practically hear the groans coming from nearby cubicles as you send the Outlook invite. Why does team building have such a bad reputation? What is the purpose of team building? Maybe because there’s such a stereotype associated with it.
Here are the 3 common myths we hear about team building:
1. Team building puts people to sleep. On the contrary! A well-executed, simple team building activity will leverage each individual’s unique problem-solving skills so everyone feels engaged (and no one feels bored). You can even make things a bit competitive by having a corporate cooking competition!
2. Team building isn’t fun. At sparkspace, we believe the best team building experiences don’t involve work or solving problems related to your work…those type of activities typically tank. Instead, focus on problem-solving with fun applications like playing games.
3. Team building activities take too long. We agree with this one! Traditional team building can be a half day or – gasp – a full day affair. No thanks! An hour for team building is a great sweet spot to step away from your meeting, engage your team, and then go back into meeting mode.
sparkspace is trying to change the way companies do team building. We actually like to refer to it as team bonding instead of team building, since bonding is what it’s ultimately encouraging.
That’s why we’ve partnered with some amazing local companies to bring you our NEW Team Bonding Experiences, that help demonstrate the importance of team building.
Did we mention that this is really easy to add on to a meeting? And that you can add it on at any time during your meeting? Contact us to get more details or you can click the button below.
- Break the script with your next meeting kickoff - September 5, 2018
- Four Proven and Powerful Team Building Exercises - June 16, 2018
- Why Columbus Sparks Creativity - June 13, 2018
- Three Common Myths About Team Building - May 3, 2018
- Three Team Outing Ideas in Downtown Columbus, Ohio - September 14, 2017
- Why Structured Play is the New Way to Team Build - August 29, 2017
- Current Meeting Catering Trends That We Love - August 22, 2017
- Four Easy Ways to Beat the Winter Blues at Work - February 21, 2017
- How to Make the Most out of Your Meetings - February 15, 2017