You’ve been instructed by your boss to include a “team building activity” on to your company’s upcoming retreat. You can practically hear the groans coming from nearby cubicles as you send the Outlook invite. Why does team building have such a bad reputation? What is the purpose of team building? Maybe because there’s such a stereotype associated with it.
Here are the 3 common myths we hear about team building:
1. Team building puts people to sleep. On the contrary! A well-executed, simple team building activity will leverage each individual’s unique problem-solving skills so everyone feels engaged (and no one feels bored). You can even make things a bit competitive by having a corporate cooking competition!
2. Team building isn’t fun. At sparkspace, we believe the best team building experiences don’t involve work or solving problems related to your work…those type of activities typically tank. Instead, focus on problem-solving with fun applications like playing games. Escape rooms are the perfect combination of fun, problem solving and teamwork! See here for team building atlanta and the Paranoia Quest escape rooms!
3. Team building activities take too long. We agree with this one! Traditional team building can be a half day or – gasp – a full day affair. No thanks! An hour for team building is a great sweet spot to step away from your meeting, engage your team, and then go back into meeting mode.
sparkspace is trying to change the way companies do team building. We actually like to refer to it as team bonding instead of team building, since bonding is what it’s ultimately encouraging.
That’s why we’ve partnered with some amazing local companies to bring you our NEW Team Bonding Experiences, that help demonstrate the importance of team building.
Did we mention that this is really easy to add on to a meeting? And that you can add it on at any time during your meeting? Contact us to get more details or you can click the button below.
- Best Quotes From Meetings Suck by Cameron Herold - May 1, 2019
- Best Quotes from The Power of Moments - September 27, 2018
- Break the Script with Your next Meeting Kickoff - September 5, 2018
- Four Proven and Powerful Team Building Exercises - June 16, 2018
- Why Columbus Sparks Creativity - June 13, 2018
- Three Common Myths About Team Building - May 3, 2018
- The Staggering Importance of Team Culture - April 30, 2018
- How to Spark Positivity in Your Team - April 23, 2018
- How to Know When It’s Time for a Team Retreat - April 23, 2018
- How Meeting Facilitation Can Help Three Common Team Problems - March 1, 2018