So how does team sparkspace retreat? Over the past 17 years in business and hosting thousands of meetings we’ve learned lots of best practices but it’s really our own personal experience meeting as a team that we’ve discovered the must-haves for staff retreats.
Here’s sparkspace’s top 3 necessities for creating the perfect staff retreat.
We find the perfect location:
Yes, we have an amazing facility. It’s actually a perfect space for a retreat but we as a team take our own advice seriously: go offsite for a retreat! Staying on-site is not conducive to a distraction-free, fresh, new environment, so we look for another location. Our owner has a cabin on a lake only about an hour away, so that’s a perfect spot, and we’ve also used nearby hotel suites. We make sure any space has natural light, comfortable seating, and is advantageous to creative thinking.
We involve everyone ahead of time:
Pre-work and an agenda is a must for a staff retreat. We think back over the past year on what has worked out? What can be improved? What were our biggest successes? We then kick-off our retreat with each person sharing the top 3-5 biggest successes in their role over the past year. This not only starts the retreat on a positive note but creates an open environment where we’re all comfortable participating, sharing ideas, and brainstorming throughout the day.
We end the day with a fun activity:
We’re kinda big on the whole team bonding thing, so it’s no surprise we incorporate a team activity. We have taken Segway tours, gone to Cirque de Solei, grabbed dinner and walked through the zoo lights with our families, participated in charity work, baked and decorated cookies together, participated in an Escape Room, etc. Our team bonding experiences have ranged in budget, but were all equally fun and energizing!
- How to Avoid the dreaded “Afternoon Slump” during your next meeting - October 2, 2017
- How We Retreat: Team Sparkspace’s 3 Necessities for the Perfect Staff Retreat - August 16, 2017
- Be the Meeting Hero! - June 23, 2017
- 3 ways to create a memorable meeting experience - June 16, 2017
- 3 Little Meeting Room Touches to Impress Your Clients - April 3, 2017
- Simplify the Meeting Planning Process for Out-of-Town Venues - March 29, 2017
- 4 Quick Activities to Encourage Cross-Functional Collaboration - March 24, 2017
- How to Design a Memorable Staff Retreat - December 9, 2016
- The #1 Thing to Remember About Your Next Team Retreat - December 8, 2016
- 52 Tips to Make Every Meeting Your Best Meeting Ever - May 25, 2016