Everywhere I look these days I see the same question: What are you thankful for? A good question for sure. Probably should ask it on a regular basis instead of just 1/12th of the year.
This holiday season I invite you to spin the question 180 degrees.
Are people thankful for YOU?
Go ahead. Answer the question. It’s not arrogant or self-centered to think about. Are the people in your life thankful for YOU?
- Are your customers thankful for the amazing products and service you provide?
- Is your community thankful for the amazing effort you put in to make it a better place to work, live, and do business?
- Are your friends thankful for the amazing support and encouragement you provide to them without asking?
- Are your kids thankful for having such an amazing provider, mentor, and hero (ok, WILL they be thankful 30 years from now when they realize what an amazing parent you were)?
- Is your spouse or significant other thankful for your amazing commitment to your relationship?
If you were any of the people mentioned above, would you be thankful for you? If not, maybe now is the time to become something more.
I think it’s great — essential, actually — to be thankful for our amazingly abundant lives.
But the bigger question is what amazing gifts, talents, products, and services are you giving to the world that it will be thankful for?
By the way, receiving thanks is not the goal. Living your life, conducting your business, using your talents to their fullest, and leaving nothing on the table when you’re done — that’s the goal. And it’s worthy of thanksgiving.
Thank you for what you provide. Keep it up. Crank it up.