When you sit around the Thanksgiving table this week, sharing your stories of what is awesome and wonderful in your life, will your job make the list?
One of the truths I have come to know in life is that you find what you look for. If you look for things to be thankful for at work, you’ll find them. Oh, they’re hidden like Easter eggs in some places for sure (oops, I’m mixing my holidays, sorry ’bout that!). But you can find them, I promise you.
Before you take off and stuff yourself silly with poultry, pig, Tofurkey, or Chinese Food I challenge you to come up with 10 things you’re thankful for at work.
I’m thankful for:
1. My rockstar staff: Heather, Jason, Duane, Mary, and Lisa. They make work fun. They make sparkspace better than I could ever make it on my own.
2. Our amazing clients. Some of them have been with us for our entire 13 years. To say I’m grateful would be the single biggest understatement in the history of the world.
3. Our uber-creative collaborative partners, the ones who help us serve our clients like nobody’s business.
4. Our awesome “vendors.” I use quotation marks because we really don’t look at them that way. They’re true partners in every sense of the word. Their products and services help make ours even better.
5. New relationships. I’ve met so many excellent new people this year because of work. Some have quickly become close friends, some mentors, some clients, and some are my favorite new coffee buddies
6. Being able to do work I love (almost) every day. Hey, even at the most inspirational business retreat center on the planet there is still some yucky stuff like paperwork (blech!).
7. Having a job that allows me to work in my strengths (of which there are few) more than my weaknesses (of which there are many).
8. My family. I know this seems like cheating to put it on my work list, but the truth is without a supportive family, life is much, much more difficult for an entrepreneur. My family makes my work life easier, not harder.
9. The end of the recession. I know some are still struggling with it, but it sure feels like the worst is behind us for now. WHEW!
10. Our “fans”. Weird word, but I use it to encompass all the people we interact with on a regular basis that don’t fit in any of the categories above. This includes our Facebook fans, Twitter followers, Linked-In contacts, and YOU, our most excellent blog and newsletter readers!
Now, go make your list. Oh, and have a great Thanksgiving!