We can have meetings all-day every day, but what is the purpose of all these meetings if we’re not taking anything away from them? How’s your team being held accountable? Make sure your next meeting is the best meeting ever by including the top 3 things to NEVER leave a meeting without.
(1) A DECISION:
There are a dozens of topics you could be discussing during your meeting, whether it’s employees, budgets, office culture, marketing, policies, or the upcoming week. One thing that they all have in common….concluding with a decision. Will there be budget cuts? Will Sally get the promotion? How will we set this week’s room setups? How will we promote a positive culture? What are the next steps? You get the picture. If you’re not making decisions, perhaps your meeting would be more efficient through an email.
(2) AN ACTION PLAN:
The action plan puts the decision into motion. This would be a list of items/tasks that need to be accomplished in order for the goals to be achieved. All tasks need to be assigned to a team member and they are responsible for the task completion. There also needs to be a specific date the task items need to be completed. Be specific! Saying “the end of August” is definitely not the same as “due on Friday, August 21st”. Make sure the date is clear.
(3) A SCHEDULED FOLLOW-UP:
Putting your “accountability” date on the calendar is a must! If team members leave a meeting without the follow-up date it becomes very easy for the tasks to fall by the wayside. This may not be because the team is not motivated or doesn’t care about achieving the goals, but it’s easy to become distracted by other obligations and responsibilities. Make sure to schedule a follow-up meeting where each team member reviews their tasks and accountability.
Check out the link below for some great, FREE, Action Plan Templates to get your next meeting in motion after everyone has left the board room.
- How We Retreat: Team Sparkspace’s 3 Necessities for the Perfect Staff Retreat - August 16, 2017
- Be the Meeting Hero! - June 23, 2017
- 3 ways to create a memorable meeting experience - June 16, 2017
- 3 Little Meeting Room Touches to Impress Your Clients - April 3, 2017
- Simplify the Meeting Planning Process for Out-of-Town Venues - March 29, 2017
- 4 Quick Activities to Encourage Cross-Functional Collaboration - March 24, 2017
- How to Design a Memorable Staff Retreat - December 9, 2016
- The #1 Thing to Remember About Your Next Team Retreat - December 8, 2016
- 52 Tips to Make Every Meeting Your Best Meeting Ever - May 25, 2016
- Best Meeting Ever Tip #52: How to Have the Best Meeting Ever - May 12, 2016