Why is creating an “experience” so important anyway?
We remember experiences. Studies have shown that we are more likely to recall information when it is attached to a sense, whether it’s touch, sight, smell, taste, or sound. We all know what it’s like when a certain smell or song sends us right back in time to memory from our childhood or past event in our lives. So what better way to create a meeting experience than to include one of our five senses?
Here are 3 ways to create a memorable experience during your next meeting:
Encourage Doodling & Play
Creating a playful environment is one way to generate a memorable experience. Not many meetings include hands-on materials like play dough, crayons, markers, construction paper, and pipe cleaners on the conference table. Go ahead…encourage your team to doodle/fidget during your meeting and watch their reactions.
By simply allowing, “play” and “doodling” during your next meeting your team has the potential to retain up to 30% more information presented. Don’t believe me? Check out this article and book by Sunni Brown. She’s is a doodle expert!
Provide Food, Food, and more Food
Smells are one of the strongest senses tied to memory so food can be key to a memorable experience. Plus, it’s the best part of the meeting, right? Now, a plain deli tray may not awaken our senses, but a hot Korean BBQ bowl with sautéed veggies, colorful toppings and a variety of sauces is another story. It’s making me hungry just typing it up!
Food bowls are very trendy right now and the presentation is amazing so try one at your next meeting. Sundae bars with tons of toppings, Detroit-style pizza, and Pastry/Bakery treats are all very popular this year. Using food to create an experience is always a win!
Participate in a Team Bonding Activity
This is an easy one. No matter what team bonding experience you choose whether you’re volunteering, taking a food tour, or bowling, your team is likely to remember this type event. Especially since they’ll be engaging all their senses.
If you’re looking for a team bonding experience we have several options here at sparkspace including our summer exclusive with Kingmakers. Kingmakers is a board game parlor with game “sommeliers”. We also have our escape room (pictured above) and our North Market Foodie Adventure. For more information on our team bonding experiences click here.
- How We Retreat: Team Sparkspace’s 3 Necessities for the Perfect Staff Retreat - August 16, 2017
- Be the Meeting Hero! - June 23, 2017
- 3 ways to create a memorable meeting experience - June 16, 2017
- 3 Little Meeting Room Touches to Impress Your Clients - April 3, 2017
- Simplify the Meeting Planning Process for Out-of-Town Venues - March 29, 2017
- 4 Quick Activities to Encourage Cross-Functional Collaboration - March 24, 2017
- How to Design a Memorable Staff Retreat - December 9, 2016
- The #1 Thing to Remember About Your Next Team Retreat - December 8, 2016
- 52 Tips to Make Every Meeting Your Best Meeting Ever - May 25, 2016
- Best Meeting Ever Tip #52: How to Have the Best Meeting Ever - May 12, 2016